Saturday, July 26, 2008

House Work (updated)

I've been a little worried the past two weeks, as DH has come down with bronchitis. Nothing new of course - it usually happens once or twice a year. But the newer, drier air here and the blowing wind and dust appear to have affected him more than me; he can't seem to shake it. They upped his meds this week and may test him for allergies in two weeks if it still doesn't clear. He has stayed inside doing things around the house instead of getting outside. Today he took down the barbed wire fence between the two west garden plots and rolled it up; then mowed over there. This time though he wore a particulate mask, and his breathing does not appear to be affected.

I've been cleaning inside and finishing laundry, too. The house was vacant for a year and a half, and the folks who lived here before had the same attitude toward cleaning that I do - you make the beds, do the laundry, do the dishes, clean the floors, bathroom and kitchen - and a week later you have to do it all over again! But they had 5 kids... The shower was encrusted with soap scum, and I have slowly been whittling it down, but today I powed it with Simple Green. I also went after the brass faucets with Brasso and a toothbrush again. I finally got everything shining in there. I am not much of a clean freak but caked on white stuff and green stuff bother me. So now there's none. Sigh. Two loads of laundry already this morning. Sat down for a samwich and now its noon. Still a whole 10 hours left to get things done!

Since we will start having company in November, I have got to get the upstairs guest BR in order. Right now it has my desktop computer, screen, printer, accoutrements and attachments in boxes still, plus a few boxes of things I just sort of stare at and debate the best places for them to go. Argh. I won't be needing a lot of it any more, but you just never know, do you? I have a huge walkin closet for my hangups and a 'trunk room' under the eaves that is like a long, thin, low-ceilinged attic. There is even a little cubbyhole door in the guest BR that I have not investigated yet; DH says it is like a small attic, empty and warm, no air or any other access. I don't want to cram just anything into it just because I don't have anywhere else to put it. This takes thought and planning. Sigh.

I have never been this tidy before! Of course, I have never had this much room to be tidy IN, either!!! While granted I have always set up my rooms just so, with colors and wallpaper and furniture - sometimes waiting two or three YEARS to get the exact piece I wanted - I did it because I think that decorating and redecorating is such a waste. A nest is a nest, and it should be perfect and kept that way. Get what you want to begin with, and keep it that way. I don't even like to move furniture for a new look every six months, as some folks do. And that is probably why I haven't put my heart into the guest BR yet - because the walls were painted by a -um, shall we say, creative soon-to-be mother full of hormones and hope? One wall is deep sky blue, the other three are light blue pearl with pink and blue pearl sponged-on accents... I just know that, once I get started in there, I'm going to get frustrated and go down underneath the basement stairs to get the paint.

Oh, whatthehell - might as well go down and get the paint now. No sense in making two trips. Sigh.

So I went downstairs and got the leftover paint. I got the dark blue and the pink, and a can of white. I mixed a bit of the blue with the pink - pur-PLE. So I added the white - and got a lovely shade of lavender. I took it up to the room, got everything unpacked and put away at last, and started putting the lavender on the walls. With the 2-inch maple trim and doors, white ceiling angles, and the dark oak floor, the room looks bigger, lighter, and much more comforting!

No comments: