Friday, June 13, 2008

Well, I've Been Pretty Busy

I'm still unpacking, still arranging, still figuring out where everything will go. Some things I knew before they were ever packed exactly where I wanted them to be; other things - well, when you move from a 1,000 sq foot home to a 1750 sq foot home, the choices are endless! My only question is - how did I fit all of this stuff in that first house to begin with?

Our daughter is busily redoing the old house to suit her and her boyfriend. She and I call and IM each other; she tells me of all of the new color choices and designs she is instilling, what she is doing to the yard (putting in a LAWN! Imagine that!) - what she is doing at work, etc.

I went Sunday to a graduation party for one of my new friend's daughters. While there, I met the Community Development Director for the county. He was so amazed to find someone, especially a newcomer, who spoke his language! We chatted for two hours. He was thrilled to discover that Mike and I are not merely retiring, we are starting a real business, have real goals and a real plan. Gotta admit it was fun - but I was glad to get back home. Lots of work still to be done.

The rain, thunderstorms, and tornado warnings have finally stopped. Please, folks, don't worry - where we have located doesn't get the tornadoes normally; the topography is too hilly and is not conducive for anything but wind... lots and lots of wind! Today it was a lovely 73 degrees, with 37% humidity and a 20 MPH wind. Brisk and sweet with the smell of growing things, the breeze blew over me in the yard as I hung clothes on the line, blew into the basement as I worked down there unpacking and getting the rooms set up for their purposes. The wind blows here all of the time... few people even have air conditioning.

Got so much to do that I don't have time to chat much... the phone never rings unless it is a relative. And the silence and stars at night are peaceful and glorious. I work from sunup to sundown every day, just like everyone else around me. Occasionally we go down to the Hub and sit and talk with our new neighbors, east supper and popcorn, have a few drinks, and drive the three blocks back home. We would walk but of course Mike can't... so we drive.

The word 'idyllic' comes to mind... except somehow I always thought that idyllic circumstances wouldn't leave me quite so tired! LOL

No comments: