Saturday, June 28, 2008

Holy Crap it's COLD!



OK, not really cold - not for here, anyway. It is 60 deg with a 30 mph wind, clear and sunny. But damn! It's an outside sweater day for digging in the garden.

No bugs. Like they could hold on to the fine body hair in this wind!! LOL There's a mental image.
There are no 'sand gnats' even though there is plenty of sand - no noseeums any where at any time. If it ain't a skeeter - and they are tiny here compared to the striped hawks of SC - don't worry, it doesn't bite.

Like yesterday, I'll throw on a hoodie and work til 11, then the sun gets too hot for the sweater and I peel it off and keep working. Since there's no humidity, as long as one stays hydrated, s/he can just keep right on going. In this wind it might be fun to sand down the fence for painting - no sawdust to deal with afterwards! And the paint will dry so fast one has to close the can when one takes a break...

I'll have to transplant that apple tree; it was planted in the shade three years ago and is merely staying alive (without the benefit of the BeeGees or disco). I'll put it in that spot near the cherry tree I just planted last week. My own little protected fruit orchard (I hope) included with the scrounged blackberries put in a very cool flower-shaped tire-retread pot that was left behind. Next spring I am determined to put in gooseberries, too - haven't bit into one in over 20 years, and they are one of my favorite fruits. Maybe even an apricot tree; another one of my favorites.

Planning the greenhouse layout - the underground one with the polyglas one in front - where and what and how much the flats and seeds will cost... gawd it sounds boring but so much fun and so interesting for me.

Gotta get cracking this AM - I bought 5 lbs of Blueberries to make minimuffins for the town picnic on Saturday. Yes, an Independence Day picnic that everyone attends and brings something extra to share, rather than expecting everything to be provided for them. They don't require entertainment or "something for my children to do"other than the fireworks show put on by the fire department - they just take the day and use it to hang out and enjoy each others' company. Of course, Friday night - the actual 4th - there is a demolition derby and fireworks show at the county fairgrounds in Valentine.

Every time I turn a corner around here I expect to see Norman Rockwell sitting there, painting... So muffins first, pop them into the freezer, then into the yard again.

No comments: