Friday, November 30, 2007

Bad Moon risin'

Been talking to some friends today about old wounds.
My real life is pretty private. The life I live now is far removed from what my past once was. Once upon a time, I was gullible and innocent. Once upon a time I believed that laws were for the protection of the innocent and the punishment of the guilty. Many years ago, that belief was shattered, when a bureaucracy used the law to go after me and my family in a very real way, for their own self-promotion and enrichment. Rather than rolling over and playing dead, I rose up in a rage and went after them. While my family was irreparably damaged by their actions, it was also ultimately saved by our refusal to bow down and accept their unrighteousness. I found out that evil really does lurk in the hearts of many, ready to jump out for their own self-gratification and promotion. I found out that people were, simply, not to be trusted. I found out that I could not live life silently, quietly, bothering no one and trusting that no one would bother me. My attorney back then called me "Don Quixote" - forever tilting at windmills and saving someone.

But I really don't like that persona. It is a defense against the world. What I really like is having the time to cook and bake and create artistry with my hands, and grow things, and take care of animals with all of their varying and different personalities. What I really like is peace and quiet. Nights in front of the fire. days in the field or in my shop or kitchen. Days where I never have to speak to another human, only cats and dogs and other critters that have simple tastes, simple needs, and simple responses. Purrs and puppy-snuggles for affection.

Then someone cries out for help and I am off again. More new friends want to hear my story. More people need someone to save them, to help explain why the people and governments and powers are going after them instead of leaving them alone. And I am on the road again.

I guess that is what really bugs me about all of the superficial crap going on around me, in the news, in the movies, in other peoples' lives. So much of this shit doesn't matter. So much of it is Disney World - artificial joy, artificial evil, phony pain, fake pleasures. Wii games and the latest Sudoku puzzle. Shit, that is - just shit, with no reality, no reason, no conclusion, an endless slippery downward sludge-slide of things that don't matter, and are created only for creation's sake, to occupy the mindless, the brainless, the senseless superficial folk.

Meanwhile, the world goes to hell around them, and they haven't a clue as to what it is all about, other than how it affects their own immediacy. They are the perfect swallowers, avid consumers, of shit - mouths open, vacant-eyed, nattering about things that don't matter,
dancing their way to hell under the revolving disco balls and neon lights that braise their skull-like faces in sharp relief.

Meanwhile, I talk with other people about things that matter. We talk about the computer generated evils that distract people from the real and creeping evils around them, that blind them to the truth with bright and dark, beautiful and deadly, multipixilated colors and experiences that are only viewed, never touched, tasted, smelt, or emoted.

"Doom, gloom, and rumors of boom" - it's coming, and The End is Near. I need a long white beard, a photographer's wrap, and a sandwich board sign. Or, maybe, just a computer graphic artist...

No comments: