Saturday, September 20, 2008

Getting Stronger by Inches

Today has started to be a busy day... The wild turkey flock was in the back garden until the stray came around to chase them; then they flew up in the trees next to my BR window.


Yesterday I finally finished painting the house's red trim in front, so I started the sprinklers this AM (been pretty dry all week).
Then it was time to feed the horses. Snip (L behind Willie) has a raw spot on his cheek from where his halter was too tight; we treated that. Willie (L) is putting
on weight at last, while Lake (R) is pouting as usual, because she is not the sole recipient of our attention.
By this time it was 8 AM, so we started working on the stovepipe for the woodstove. It wasn't sealed on the roof correctly, and so we have to reseal it - but that's not the worst part. Down below it leaks right onto the stove, and it has rusted out the bottom pipe that goes into the stove. So we had to change it out. That was a real drag. We found a bird's nest in the flue!
I've toted the paint up to my bedroom and will be going out there to paint my window frame after I make lunch.
You know, it takes a lot of effort every day, 6 AM til 11 PM, getting things in order. We are constantly busy - after all, this house wasn't lived in for almost two years, and a lot of things were let go for a lot longer than that. When I first started, I felt so enervated, so exhausted all of the time. My knees hurt, back hurt, head hurt. Some days you could hear my knees like old rusty hinges, creaking and groaning.
But steady exercise and a reintroduction of healthy, not fast, food, has made my body start to repair itself. I don't make my own bread or cook my meals from scratch because I like to (although I do) or because I have to (even tho there is no "fast food" for 40 miles) I do it because we wanted, needed a simpler and better lifestyle. Slowly the pure water is washing out the residual poisons from our systems. We can feel it! The vegies and the real, fresh, local meat are strengthening us.
No I don't think I'll ever be as young and strong as I used to be. But slowly, the days dawn and I look forward to getting up and going and doing and fixing, creating and growing things. I can't wait to get out of bed in the morning. My life isn't getting any easier - but it sure is getting better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, WC, I'm sharing your blog with my friend in NH, Mcarlson, so you might hear from her. PS...she's a FEMINIST! LovE, PB

WileyCoyote said...

EEEEK!

Not a .... FEMINIST!!
LOL

Kewl... BTW, ask MH for my email addy if you want to... I'd give you mine here but well, one never knows who's reading this, does one? Somehow we didn't share before I left.