Saturday, February 2, 2008

Busy Busy

Been so busy the last two weeks.
Best friend started his dream last night, but he's been really working on it for 2 years. This last month was killer, though - imagine a bunch of bartenders grouping together to change an entire interior of a bar; update it, clean it, rewire it, repaint and nail and saw and sand and completely redo it. It was hard work yet totally wonderful to see it all come together. I am exhausted and sore but it was fun to help them out a little. Funny how guys like to do the heavy stuff and the important stuff but never think about the little stuff that needs to be done. Or, when they do think about it, they'd rather someone else do it. So I did.
Why would I sit here exhausted and hurting, just to help someone do something that I have absolutely no interest in doing?
The final farewell.
For over 20 years I've been helping my friend do what he wants and get what he wants, because I believed in everything he said and did. And I still do. Great guy, hardworking, and deserving. He earns respect, he doesn't demand it. He sets goals and accomplishes them. He fights for what's right even when all are against him. I know that feeling all too well. I know how hard it is to fight alone. So I help him in whatever way I can.
But now it's coming close to the time when I'm going to leave him to his own. I have other things to do, other things that I want to do, have wanted to do for years. Soon I will be doing them. That's all.
Most people just don't get it. They not only don't understand what he's done and why he's done it; they don't know the sacrifices he has made for them - and a lot of them don't care, either. They emote instead of think. They can't see the forest for the trees. They have no idea what he has accomplished for them. They shout and whimper and whine about all sorts of stupid things that don't matter. They couldn't care less about what the truths are. They would be just as happy to go backwards as forwards. They would complain about how horrible all the graft and coercion was in the old regime - and now they complain because they don't feel like they are getting the individual attention that they deserve. They haven't got a clue - about anything.
I really do hate stupid people.
I know what I want and I'm going after what I want, what is good for me, and to hell with all of those people who say that they need me and that I'll let them down. From restraining their drunken relatives in the back of an ambulance to presiding over commissions and boards that educate their children, I have done everything in my power for them - yet they think that I have to stay so that they can depend on someone else doing for them the work that they are too busy, too lazy, or too uninvolved to do for themselves.
I. Have. A. Life. And I am done with theirs. I leave my friend to his own devices and desires. He is all about what he is doing, hooray for him, I leave him to his dreams and their fulfillment. I'm happy for him. He has enough people now to help him rise -or fall.

No comments: